So here is a mini review of a TV- the D7000 series.
I love you
Didn't think I could get this excited by a telly but this thing is just amazing. For starts, the screen goes all the way to the edge! There is a very thin, clear perspex bezel round the thing but I reckon that's just there to protect the important gubbins. Talking of thin, it is about a thumbs width deep! It gets a little fatter where the connectors out- if it didn't, you wouldn't be able to plug anything in!
And connections- everything you could wish for. 4 HDMI, Freesat and Freeview built it plus lots of boring connections that are expected but shameful on a telly like this. Non-digital inputs should have been banned, it would be awful to send anything than the highest resolution to this amazing screen.
Watching the new season of True Blood in 720p last night was great. You almost feel like you are there. At one point someone walked into the scene and I jumped as I thought someone had walked into my flat! (Okay, that makes me sound mental). I've watched a couple of 1080p films briefly to see the quality and it is mind blowing. 2001 A Space Odyssey was outstanding. Since there are no computer graphics you really feel like you are there. A downside is, however, when blue screen (orange these days?) computer generated scenes are obviously computer generated. Avatar in 1080p on a very quick viewing was disappointing. The picture is so good that it the computer animation is exactly that. It doesn't gel well with the live actors. I'll need to watch the full thing again and give it a proper chance.
The telly has wireless and also wired LAN access. A thing called Smarthub gives access to all the BBC iPlayer, 4 on Demand etc plus google maps and a bunch of other stuff. Very natural to use and the picture quality is excellent. It's a very cool feature that expands a lot on the normal TV experience.
3D- I had a quick play on the PS3 with Gran Turismo and Crysis 2. Bit weird and takes getting used to but it is really cool. No films in 3D yet, just some demos. Enjoyed it and looking forward to more titles coming out. Not something I was too bothered with. Good to have the option. Only 1 pair of glasses though.
Finally, it has a built in media player. Plug in a USB memory stick or drive and it will play your music, movies (even MKV format!) and show photos. It even picks up my network drive and plays movies direct from it. It wouldn't play certain movie files so my WD Media player is still used for the odd occasion a file format isn't recognised.
Who'd have thought tellies could have come so far in just 6 years (the age of my old one). This thing has blown me away with the quality and features it packs in. Well worth the cash. Buy one.

No comments:
Post a Comment