Saturday, 15 June 2013

Shake Box

Just spent a week in the 787 simulator. Here is what it looks like from the outside if you don't know what I'm going on about-


We go in this bloody thing for 4 hrs at a time and learn to fly the plane and the instructor usually makes disasters happen that we then have to deal with.  It's all quite good fun really, until someone farts. 

The main lark is to fly about on one engine and then get shitty weather so that we can barely land.  As the years have gone by and the aircraft I've flown have gotten more clever, the sweat and fear smell has lessened  considerably over that time.  This thing it's a piece of piss really.  The computer helps the little pilot monkeys a lot and in turn reduces my bodily excretions.  Everyone's a winner!

Here's the baby that helps me massively-


This is the HUD (head up display).  Never used one before but I can't live without it now (bit like Babybel cheese).  I hardly have to look in as all the info I need is right there.  It isn't quite focused right in the sim, it should be to infinity but it isn't.  I need to keep closing one eye to have it and the runway in focus at the same time (sat there winking like Jimmy Savile in a creche).  Thankfully I've been assured the real thing works as it should.

And here is the real deal being smashed to pieces in the US-

Be gentle, buffoons!

There you go.  A little peek into what's going on in Dreamliner world.  If they haven't destroyed it over the next couple of weeks, I should get my hands on the bad boy early July.  










No comments:

Post a Comment